check swap on your machines

I thought this was something that only affected the RSUG deployment, but after hearing that Liam had encountered the same problem I promised him that I would send this to the group. I think we traced this back to the install CD that Martin was using, apparently its mkswap command defaults to setting the size to 2GB.

------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Wed, 04 Feb 2004 18:00:59 -0500
From:    Sean Sweda <sweda@xxxxxxxxx>
To:      blackops@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: swap on linux hw

It looks like swap is misconfigured on some of our linux hw. What I have noticed is that while /dev/sda2 is sized around 4GB that swap is only using around 2GB.

Example:

fate-root# swapon -s
Filename                        Type            Size    Used    Priority
/dev/sda2                       partition       2097136 88      -1

fate-root# fdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 18.3 GB, 18351967232 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2231 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *         1       128   1028128+  83  Linux
/dev/sda2           129       638   4096575   82  Linux swap
/dev/sda3           639      2231  12795772+  83  Linux

I successfully reconfigured swap on bruteforce, by doing: swapoff /dev/sdas mkswap /dev/sda2 swapon /dev/sda2

(note: you don't want to turn off swap on a machine that is actually
utilizing significant amounts of swap space!)

I'll have to do an inventory to figure out how many machines are
affected.

Sean

------- End of Forwarded Message