Proposed additions to the kernel for desktop use

For you review, here is our first delta between the server and desktop kernel. There are still other features we are evaluating, but we wanted to get these to the group for todays meeting.

To have a common kernel, we would need to have these added:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP +n M (Modular support for loopback device)
CONFIG_INPUT +n y (Input device support)
CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBDEV +n y (Keyboard support)
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV +n y (Mouse support)
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X +- 1024
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y +- 768
CONFIG_MOUSE +n y
CONFIG_PSMOUSE +n y
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE +n y (VGA console support)
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT +n y
CONFIG_USB +n y (USB support)
CONFIG_USB_UHCI_ALT +n y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE +n y
CONFIG_USB_HID +n y
CONFIG_VT ?n y (Virtual terminal support, would probably want this more on servers)
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE ?n y
CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_3COM n y (Network card)
CONFIG_VORTEX +n y
CONFIG_AGP +n y (Video card)
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL +n y
CONFIG_AGP_I810 +n y
CONFIG_AGP_VIA +n y
CONFIG_AGP_AMD +n y
CONFIG_AGP_SIS +n y
CONFIG_AGP_ALI +n y

We were not sure why this was needed in the server kernel. Could it be removed?

CONFIG_PARTITION_ADVANCED y n (is this necessary for server kernels)
x Say Y here if you would like to use hard disks under Linux which x
x were partitioned under an operating system running on a different x
x architecture than your Linux system. x
x x
x Note that the answer to this question won't directly affect the x
x kernel: saying N will just cause the configurator to skip all x
x the questions about foreign partitioning schemes. x
x x
x If unsure, say N.

--Patrick