Re: cores

Sean Sweda <sweda@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> To: UMCE Linux <umce.linux@xxxxxxxxx>
> From: Sean Sweda <sweda@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: cores
> Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 18:28:27 -0400
>
> We were discussing core files at the blackops meeting.  To the best of
> my knowledge we have not had any core dumps cause a tripwire on our
> production servers running UMCE linux.  I'd like to believe that
> nothing has ever crashed, but with wonderfully gnarly stuff like bind,
> sendmail, and openldap running I suspect that we have had a thing or
> two die since we first started deploying last summer (I also have
> strace output of our virus milter which shows threads segfaulting
> repeatedly).  Of course, everything could be crashing and coring in
> negative directories and not causing tripwire.  However, I know that
> slapd died on serpico.dir last week and find does not reveal a core
> file:
>
> serpico-root# find . -name core
> ./dev/core
> ./proc/sys/net/core
>
> So... my question to you all is this:  have you seen core files left
> over on your servers, and if so what left them behind?  I'm wondering
> if we have some kind of systemic problem which is preventing them from
> being written out.
>
> Please discuss.
>
> Sean

	bash-2.05b$ ulimit -a
	core file size        (blocks, -c) 0
	data seg size         (kbytes, -d) unlimited
	file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
	max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) unlimited
	max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
	open files                    (-n) 1024
	pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 8
	stack size            (kbytes, -s) 8192
	cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
	max user processes            (-u) 7168
	virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) unlimited
	bash-2.05b$

Not sure right off where the limit comes from exactly (kernel? init?)
but the consequence is certainly that we won't get any of those
pesky core dumps filling up our disks.

				-Marcus