Re: digi sts drivers for linux

Liam Hoekenga <liamr@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> To: umce.linux@xxxxxxxxx
> From: Liam Hoekenga <liamr@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: digi sts drivers for linux
> Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 11:04:58 -0400
>
> In case anyone is interested, I stumbled across this this morning....
>
>      http://outflux.net/unix/software/sts/
>
> We should be able to use LFS machines as terminal servers...
>
> Liam

Yup, I know about them.  That's what's running on warris.ifs.umich.edu
(a GX270) right now.  A small issue is you need "narrow" (8-bit) scsi
to talk to the terminal server (right cable) and you don't want lvd,
differential, etc., (won't work at all.).  For the GX270, that meant an
add-on card, but the dell 1750 may just need the right cable.

So far, warris has mostly worked, except for one weird unexplained
incident where the whole machine locked up, with the message "els00
...  offline".  This could be a problem with old firmware (the borrowed
units I've found are running rev 5.7; our production units probably
have 7.1 or 7.2?) or a power or scsi cable issue, and it may be
triggered by fiddling with rs-232 cables.  It hasn't repeated despite
some provocation, and it may have had a perfectly innocent cause, so I
don't know that this is cause for alarm yet.  When I get a chance, I
intend to put an els transcript on sixthday and build notes on
terminator.

The sts card isn't made anymore, so if we run out of ports there, our
only recourse would be ebay.  Supposedly mjsager has a successor card
that works via ethernet ("etherlite"); I hope to look at them and see
what they do.  It's possible they'll work with another configuration of
the same software I've already built.

					-Marcus