Re: rpm experts?

Katarina Lukaszewicz <catarina@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 18:10:16 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Katarina Lukaszewicz <catarina@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: umce.linux@xxxxxxxxx
> Subject: rpm experts?
>
> Hi folks,
>
> I was hoping that one of you might be able to help with something:
> rpm2cpio is this nifty little script that turns rpms to cpio's for
> extraction...  now I can turn IBM's Tivoli just fine but not dptutils
> (I've downloaded dptutils from 3 different sources now)
>
> equilibrium-catarina:; rpm2cpio TIVsm-BA.i386.rpm > TIVsm-BA.i386.cpio
> CPIO archive found!
>
> equilibrium-catarina:; rpm2cpio dptutil-3.31-2.i686.rpm >
> dptutil-3.31-2.i686.cpio
> Error: header not recognized
>
> This isn't a permission issue,  as the same thing happens as root.
>
> 	-K

No it's not a permissions problem.  You didn't say where you got your
rpm from, but I presume it's similar to
	http://ftp.nest.pld-linux.org/pool/d/dptutil/dptutil-3.31-2.i686.rpm
If so, then what you have is an rpm that uses "bzip2", which contains
two binaries, "sbin/dptutil" and "sbin/dpteng".

It turns out there are 2 rpm2cpio's in umce linux:
	lfs-archive.T	small perl script	only knows about gzip
	lfs-devtools.T	ELF binary		knows about gzip,bzip2,?
what's on eq is the small perl script, and yup, that can't hack
bzip2 rpms.  The other one from lfs-devtools should work fine.
I'm not sure where either of these came from, although the
source on eq in /usr/src/rpm-4.1 looks incriminating enough.

Is there any particular reason you want to import random binaries rather
than build this from source?  We have source that dates from almost
exactly when this was built -- following a lead from Liam, who really
did most of the legwork on this one, I got a copy from here:
	http://mbserver.adaptec.com/getfile.php?bn=linux_downloads&key=1030733617&att_id=3
5
on this date,
	Wed Oct 15 01:28:15 EDT 2003
and I was able to get it to build.  I sent mail out
	Thu, 16 Oct 2003 04:14:02 -0400
with the subject
	Subject: Re: supermicro 4u RAID machines (7043P-8R)
with some useful clues on how to get it to build.

					-Marcus