Re: Fwd: radmind boot cd

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Patrick M McNeal wrote:

From: Matt Selsky <selsky@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Can we get a copy of the image that you guys use to bootstrap your Linux
machines?

Does the boot CD currently contain our certs? If so, how hard would it be to pull them out? Is there any other sensitive information in there? Is this something we are willing to give out?

I don't think the official version of the CD is supposed to have our certs. Though I don't know where such an image lives. It's easy to take them out, or make any additions if they need specific applications which aren't already on the CD. It only takes about 5 minutes, so I would be willing to create a new cd image for Matt without our certs and with any additional transcripts which we already have, or which he can provide. There may be some subtle changes that he should want, like a special hosts file or resolv.conf.

Also, we have our radmind server set up.  Can we steal your LFS recipes
or maybe even some binary packages?

This brings up the question, what can we share? I'm comfortable giving access to anything in the shared/folder. Anyone have a problem with that?

Does base still have some sensitive information in it or is that okay to share?

I believe that base still has the radmind certs, and the default root password, which is in use on several development machines. Since the shared directory has a slim choice of packages, I think it would be a good idea to remove any secrets from base and put what's left in shared. Can anyone think of anything else which should be removed?

Do we have a good way to share the data, either across campus or outside fo campus?

This work will also help us share UMCE linux on campus.