[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

meeting notes 12/10 (Modified by Tony Winkler)



(Please note the agenda item below, deciding that umce linux meetings are now held once a month)

o Kernel merge/update discussion (15 minutes, Kevin/Albert)

Kevin is building 2.4.28 based on our previous build notes + reiserfs support + the following changes from Patrick/Albert:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX=m # A driver for the dell's IDE controller
CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_3COM=y # Network driver
CONFIG_VORTEX=y # Another network driver
CONFIG_INPUT=y # For Human Interface Devices.
CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBDEV=y # Keyboard
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768
CONFIG_VT=y # Virtual Terminal
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y # More VT
CONFIG_MOUSE=m
CONFIG_PSMOUSE=y
CONFIG_AGP=m # For video.
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
CONFIG_AGP_I810=y
CONFIG_AGP_VIA=y
CONFIG_AGP_AMD=y
CONFIG_AGP_SIS=y
CONFIG_AGP_ALI=y


CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y # For VGA console.
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
CONFIG_SOUND=m
CONFIG_SOUND_ICH=m # Sound driver used by the Dells.
CONFIG_USB=y # For those with USB mice/keyboards.
CONFIG_USB_UHCI_ALT=y # USB controller driver. CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=y CONFIG_USB_HID=y # Human interface device.
CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT=y


we are not doing the following:
CONFIG_CRAMFS=y # Also not sure if this is necessary for the MU
# kernel but would be necessary for a boot disk.
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y # I'm not sure if these two are necessary
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=6000 # for the multi-user kernel, but it's in
# there and the e-mail from Patrick lists
# it as for the boot cd.
CONFIG_ZLIB_INFLATE=y #This was also previously listed as for boot cd.
#But not necessarily the Multi-User kernel.


Wes asks that we add sysrq:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO/security- sysrq.html
Looks like this will turn it on by default. So we should turn it off in /etc/sysctl.conf in the base.


o Transcript organization (15 minutes, Wes)

Brehm will remove gcc from base, creating lfs-base-1.3.0.T which won't have a compiler. Patrick & Albert will ask others to provide input on how versioned packages should be saved.

o Boot CD (5 minutes, Albert)

Martin, Marcus & Albert will meet about boot CD building. Albert will write something consumable by non-UMCE people.

o Task management software update (Gab)

(gab not present)

o IP tables status (Sean or Jane)

    (neither present)
    AFS servers are using IP Tables for blocking.
    IMAP front ends have port forwarding.
    Anyone interested should look at the startup scripts.

o Hardware Proposal (ainman)

    Bulk of UMCE hardware for the year has been ordered
    65 1u boxes from Western Scientific have been ordered
        Will not arrive be for January, 15 may show before Season Days
        15 have 8 gig ram for spam; remainder have 4 gig ram
        15 burned-in in data center; remainder burned-in in test lab
        We need 20 more machines

o Alternative boot loaders (Bueller?)

o CVS/Subversion (Kevin)

Kevin is very sorry.

o Discussion:
We voted to change these meetings to monthly; the later in the month meeting will continue (so we can all attend the unix admins meetings).
UMCE Linux/Oracle presentation to unix admins seems to have been well received.
Linux Town Hall was fantastic.
"We're not funded or structured to be a support organization."