radmind anomaly

Can anyone shed some light on what might be happening here?

manchu-root# ra.sh force
(truncated output)
%100
./dev/ttyr8: created updating gid mode

manchu-root# ra.sh force
(truncated output)
%100
./dev/ttyr8: deleted

manchu-root# ra.sh force
(truncated output)
%100
./dev/ttyr8: created updating gid mode

Notice a pattern here? Unfortunately, the answer isn't so simple as having that device listed twice in a transcript:

manchu-root# egrep -ri ttyr8 /var/radmind/client/
/var/radmind/client/lfs-base-1.2.6.T:c ./dev/ttyr8 0666 0 4 3 40

manchu-root# twhich -a ./dev/ttyr8
# Positive
lfs-base-1.2.6.T:
c ./dev/ttyr8                           0666     0     4     3    40

When I run fsdiff -A in another directory, it shows up only once just like it should...

c ./dev/ttyr7                           0666     0     4     3    39
c ./dev/ttyr8                           0666     0     4     3    40
c ./dev/ttyr9                           0666     0     4     3    41

Also, rebooting doesn't seem to make this go away.

This machine has a sibling (same command file), and it isn't suffering from this problem. I'm also not finding anything weird in it's special directory... google doesn't tell me much, but seems to associate that device with ppp, and perhaps modems.

Could we have a hardware problem?

- Willie

--
Willie Northway                  University of Michigan Webmaster Team
http://willienorthway.com/       http://www.umich.edu/~umweb/