Re: agenda for UMCE Linux meeting wed 2p 2005.02.23

Gavin Eadie <gavin@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:29:27 -0500
> To: umce.linux@xxxxxxxxx
> From: Gavin Eadie <gavin@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: agenda for UMCE Linux meeting wed 2p 2005.02.23
>
> At 2:45 AM -0500 2/22/05, Marcus Watts wrote:
> >I'll send out an agenda tuesday night -- but if you have any
> >particular ideas on what you'd like to talk about, or not talk about,
> >now would be a good time.
>
> The anti-virus/anti-spam product evaluation and selection group would
> like someone with umce linux experience to be available to assist
> with technical questions, if any arise, from the subgroup which is
> evaluating products on unix/Linux.
>
> More at:  http://www.umich.edu/itcommons/avas.html
>
> The current unix team is:
>
> 1) Dennis Hogan, Co-Team Leader
> 2) John Herlocher, Co-Team Leader
> 3) Dan Ostrom
> 4) John Lauro
> 5) Lane Hoy
>
> Alternates
>
> Dan Lannom
> Andrew Mortensen
> Bruce Burrell
> Kevin Cheek
> Beth Bridson
>
> If the umce.linux group could offer up a volunteer and let me know, I
> won't have to toss a coin to select one!  Thanks, Gavin

We talked about this at the umce.linux meeting and decided that we
weren't sure exactly what was being asked of us.  Since there were only
5 of us there wasn't exactly a large pool of available "volunteers" in
any case.  But I expect we can select an interested and enthused
volunteer right here in e-mail once we have an idea what is expected of us.

So, what kind of commitment exactly are we looking at here --
weekly meetings?  Occasional e-mail responses?  What all exactly is
this group doing?  I hadn't actually read the RFP until after the
meeting.  It left me with even more questions though -- The RFP looks
like kind of a catch-all -- which parts would this group be
operating/deploying, and which parts would be run by other groups --
and how are efforts being coordinated with those groups?  How does
funding work for all this?  Has any consideration been given to
open-source solutions for those parts where it's practical?  Is there
any particular reason not to select Andrew Mortensen or Patrick
McNeal?

				-Marcus