Re: virtual terminal support?

> To: UMCE Linux <umce.linux@xxxxxxxxx>
> From: kevin mcgowan <clunis@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: virtual terminal support?
> Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 01:18:46 -0500
>
> has anyone in the group tried getting virtual terminals working via
> serial port on umce linux?  I mean the kind of thing where hitting F2
> will give you a second "console."
>
> I think there are times it'd be useful but haven't played with it at
> all.

>                  ... "you can't give yourself a nickname." ...

I believe the virtual terminal support in linux *only* works on
frame buffers -- ie, local graphics cards.  I don't know of
any way to make it work over a serial port, and I don't see
any obvious kernel source logic or option to make this work.

The advice (such as it is) via google is "use screen".

Another completely perverse approach is:
	http://www.planet.com.tw/news/productnews/IKVM-1000.htm
I believe there are several vendors who do this.

On a related tangent there's also an updated pc-weasel like thing:
	http://www.amcuk.com/200series.html
This one includes the ability to do hardware power on/power off.
Some of our servers support "ipmi", which allows similar capability.
(this card may be using ipmi although it doesn't say).

					-Marcus

		... "who thinks clunis is sort of a nickname." ...