slashdot article

Linux to Replace Solaris at Duke

"At the end of the 2004-2005 academic year, the Sun Solaris computers available in public computing labs at Duke University will be replaced. The replacement computers in these spaces will be Dells, running a version of Centos 3.3 as supported by Linux@DUKE. Pragmatic and technical considerations have driven this change, as Linux continues to gain a greater userbase and more third-party commercial software is made available on the platform. Are other universities eliminating Solaris in favor of a Linux distribution?"

It's a shame this hasn't been finished so that we could publicize our efforts:

http://www.umich.edu/~umce/umcelinux/

I did, however post referring to this article:

http://www.itd.umich.edu/umce/features/2004/linux.html

- Willie

--
Willie Northway                  University of Michigan Webmaster Team
http://willienorthway.com/       http://www.umich.edu/~umweb/