Re: boot cd frustration

Michael C Garrison <mcgarr@xxxxxxxxx>
and
gelle@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 17:38:52 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Michael C Garrison <mcgarr@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: gelle@xxxxxxxxx
> cc: umce.linux@xxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: boot cd frustration
>
> Gabi,
>
> I agree whole heartdly with what you have said before. With our current
> setup, the default should be serial console if an option can not be
> forced. I'm sure this is a simple change Albert could do.
>
> --
> Mike Garrison
>
> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, gelle@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > I have an ongoing problem with tipping into a machine, hitting enter a few
> > times to get a prompt, and finding out there's a CD left in there, and I've
> > just booted off VGA console.
> >
> > This requires a visit to the machine.
> >
> > I think the ideal would be to have no default, and force a number to be
> > selected.
> >
> > If this is not possible, then I think that '3'... boot from serial console...
> > should be the default, so at least I will be able to reboot again without
> > visiting the machine.  Tedious if it's in ALDC, but a lot more aggravating if
> > it's at SEB.
> >
> > Does anyone object to this change to the boot CD?  Is there a reason I
> > haven't thought of for there to even be a default, and secondly, a default
> > which doesn't work on the majority of our machines?
> >
> > gabi

I probably picked VGA console = default simply because that's what I
did most of my testing with.  Ideally, the boot code itself would go
out, notice whether serial console redirection is happening by whether
you hit <return> on the keyboard or the serial port, and magically
default to having the console on the thing you obviously can use.  With
the way we have our machines configured, that is very difficult to do.

I think it would make the most sense to have no boot default with the
cdrom.  If people are using <return> as a way to discover what's currently
talking to the serial port, that's really the only sane choice.

				-Marcus