identify that western scientific

Several people seemed to be having problems finding a serial
number on the western scientific 1u machines, so I got curious
and had a look.

Indeed, the outside of the machine is nearly completely denude of
any useful stickers.

There happened to be one machine on a convenient table in the lab, so
I had a look inside.  I found a number of stickers, of varying interest.

Towards the front, on top of the scsi cage, there is one that
says "Western Scientific".  It has one big number on it, and some
random identifying information about western scientific (url, phone number, etc.)
I suspect the big number is the serial number:
	0000001012005960
since this is the *only* sticker that says Western Scientific on the
whole inside of the machine.  That web site, incidently, was
	www.wsm.com

The power supply has several stickers.  I suspect they aren't
important to us.

The motherboard has a variety of interesting stickers and logos on it.
The two most interesting ones are located behind the ethernet connectors.
If you draw a line between the connectors and the front of the machine,
on that line about halfway between the connectors and the processor heat sink,
there is a sticker.  It reads:
	X6DVA4GXPC27554401E
I think that's the motherboard's serial number.  Or more precisely,
the first part is the model number X6DVA-4G, and the second part
XPC27554401E is probably a uniquifier.  This may be a more useful number
than the western scientific number.

Just around the corner from this sticker on the motherboard (to the "right"
of the closest heatsink), there is another similar sticker that says:
	UM55501993
	WARRANTY VOID IF REMOVED
in very small type.  I suspect this is probably some sort of order number
or batch number, and may not be unique per machine.  Presumably it
automatically peals off when the warranty expires.

The motherboard is a supermicro one; so X6DVA-4G is probably of interest
there.  The scsi backplane on the scsi cage says "SCAR1US" which is
probably also searchable but probably not very interesting.

Major parts include:
	Rage XL	- graphics chip
	LSI153C1020A - scsi controller chip ?
	AMIBIOS 786Q / Megatrends - bios firmware

The machine I victimized had a sticker on it that read:
	listserver
	burn-in
	- adbisaro
hopefully the listserver people and adam won't mind too much.

It would probably be interesting to compare these numbers and stickers
with those of several other western scientific machines.  It should
become clear which ones are useful unique identifiers of the machines.
It would probably be useful to pick one of these and put it on a sticker
somewhere on the outside of the machine; maybe on the side ?

Opening the machines is something of a challenge.  The most useful
approach I found was to take several spare card slot fillers (which
were suspiciously handy) and insert the pointed ends in the slot
between the front panel and the lid near the obvious but useless
buttons on the lid, and use them to simultaneously push down on the
button tab and pry apart the lid from the case lid (pushing the lid
straight back).

				-Marcus