Re: switching from rails to racks

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, kevin mcgowan wrote:

I hate rails. I hate looking for the right-sized screws; I hate trying to match rail bits to one another; I hate having oily hands; I hate trying to get rails mounted at just the right width so the machine will slide in but not smash onto the floor. Furthermore, I think it is silly for us to be mounting all of our hardware on rails (to save space) when we can't maximize rack capacity anyway.

I vote we move to shelves (not that we actually *move* existing hardware, but that we start using shelves and stop ordering rails):

LSA has used shelves extensively over the past 8 years. Generally, and despite the problems you mention above, we have found rails to be a better solution, primarily because they hold the machines more securely (we've had problems with machines slipping and sliding around on shelves, especially machines which are designed to be serviced from the front or the rear). Our best experience with shelves has been when we've bolted the equipment to the shelves so that it did not slide around (this has occasionally required custom machining).

I'm not trying to talk you out of using shelves or into using rails
here; I'm just sharing our experiences, for whatever they are worth.
All of your points about rails above are entirely valid; I just don't
think that shelves are all that much of an improvement.

I hope this helps.

                Mark Montague
                LS&A Information Technology
                markmont@xxxxxxxxx