SATA vs SCSI

Hello,

These two excel documents are the result of running iostat on two mail machines over the course of a few days. We broke out identical time frames and compared the disk utilization percentage and graphed the results. We also broke out the await times ( in milliseconds) and graphed those. It should be noted that the SATA machine processed 20% more mail over the time period selected due to variations because of DNS round robin. The hardware involved in the comparision is quite different, with different processor speeds and raid cards. Your mileage may vary.

The two excel files are about 3 megs each because they contain the raw data in addition to the graphs. In addition to these files I have small gif images you can look at below.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mjsager/work/SCSIvsSATA-util.xls
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mjsager/work/scsivssata-await.xls

Gif images of the graphs are avaiable here.

Await comparision

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mjsager/work/await.gif

Utilization comparision

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mjsager/work/util.gif