broken /dev

Does anyone have a clue why this randomly happens to our machines?

lfs-base-1.2.6.T:
c ./dev/logibm                          0660     0     0    10     0
c ./dev/ttyrc                           0666     0     4     3    44
c ./dev/ttyrd                           0666     0     4     3    45
c ./dev/ttyrf                           0666     0     4     3    47
c ./dev/ttys0                           0666     0     4     3    48
c ./dev/ttys1                           0666     0     4     3    49
c ./dev/ttys3                           0666     0     4     3    51
c ./dev/ttys4                           0666     0     4     3    52

One day it's fine and passing tripwire, etc, then the next it's complaining about 113 items in /dev. If I update it, then run ra.sh update again, I get the opposite result:

- c ./dev/logibm 0660 0 0 10 0
- c ./dev/ttyrc 0666 0 4 3 44
- c ./dev/ttyrd 0666 0 4 3 45
- c ./dev/ttyrf 0666 0 4 3 47
- c ./dev/ttys0 0666 0 4 3 48
- c ./dev/ttys1 0666 0 4 3 49
- c ./dev/ttys3 0666 0 4 3 51
- c ./dev/ttys4 0666 0 4 3 52

FYI - twhich -a only shows one transcript. I realize that this means a minor filesystem corruption, and running a modern version of fsck on the disk fixes it... but why / how does it happen? The listing in the radmind transcript matches what's on disk:

twhich -a ./dev/logibm
# Positive
# /var/radmind/client/umweb/mysql-common.K:
lfs-base-1.2.6.T:
c ./dev/logibm                          0660     0     0    10     0

fsdiff -1 -c sha1 ./dev/logibm
c ./dev/logibm                          0660     0     0    10     0

I'd like to avoid having to take our production machines down in order to fix their disks.

Thanks - Willie

--
Willie Northway                  University of Michigan Webmaster Team
http://willienorthway.com/       http://www.umich.edu/~umweb/