Re: broken /dev

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Willie Northway wrote:

Does anyone have a clue why this randomly happens to our machines?

One day it's fine and passing tripwire, etc, then the next it's complaining about 113 items in /dev. If I update it, then run ra.sh update again, I get the opposite result:

Did the machine crash at any point and not have a fsck forced on the whole filesystem? That's the only time I see this problem occur on our machines. Generally if a machine crashes or doesnt reboot cleanly I will force a fsck on the whole machine because it will think the filesystem is clean when it's not.

-- Mike Garrison