try out splunk

For a while now, I've been hearing discussion around this place about a utility that would aggregate distributed logs, and allow us to search, monitor, and share them with various audiences.

So on day I clicked on a banner ad featured on slashdot. It was talking about this log indexing and searching system called splunk:

http://www.splunk.com/

It looks like a fairly impressive system. It's an AJAX web application that indexes various types of log files, and then gives you an interface for searching events filtering on all sorts of options. They offer a free single-server and for-pay "Professional" version that sounds like it would be appropriate for a data center.

I've brought up a test instance on Liam's desktop gentoo box:

http://newspeak.staff.itd.umich.edu:8000/

I've fed it some example apache and mysql logs from development machines. Feel free to upload some files, and play with it yourself. I don't have any guarantee of uptime with this machine though.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get their installation to work on LFS. I also tried tarring up the installation from this gentoo machine and moving to an LFS machine, and ran into problems there as well.

Anyways, let me know if there's interest in exploring this further.

- Willie

--
Willie Northway                  University of Michigan Webmaster Team
http://willienorthway.com/       http://www.umich.edu/~umweb/